Stray Magic had me confused initially. I felt dropped into a story in progress, but it said book 1 one of the series. After the first chapter though, I was settling into the story pretty well and found several things I really liked:
- Unique world: its modern times but the world knows about shifters and vampires. Our heroine works for an agency that deals with all things paranormal.
- Shiloh is tough and spunky. If you like your heroines to be independent and in charge, you will like Shiloh.
- Interesting plot! I found I liked the mystery of it all. Who is kidnapping supernaturals? Who is creating revenants? What is up with Shiloh and Vincent? What is up with Shiloh and Tennyson?
- This isn't a romance really. There is a boyfriend, and an ex-boyfriend but neither relationship is the focus of the story. I actually found it more enjoyable than I expected to not be reading a straight up romance.
Overall, the story was engaging and fast paced which kept me reading! My initial confusion was quickly passed but I found the ending to be a bit sudden. Stray Magic introduced me to a world that I found fascinating and am curious to see where the author takes the story from here. The blend of magic, mythology, and the paranormal made for a compelling read for sure.
- POV: 1st
- Tears: no
- Trope: vampires, shifters, magic
- Triggers: none
- Series/Standalone: stand alone
- Cliffhanger: Kind of; the main arc of the story is resolved but many things are left open for the next book
- HEA: this isn't really a romance story; by the end, I'm not sure that Shiloh is 'with' anyone anymore
Authors like Dannika Dark
, Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews
...then you will probably like Stray Magic! See full review on The Book Disciple